Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mermaid Birthday Party



   Emma turned two years old at the beginning of October! She is all about Mermaids these days so it only seemed fit to have a Little Mermaid Party for her. I really don't like all the commercialized party decor out there. So I decided to make most of the decorations myself. I added little touches of Ariel to bring it all together. Overall it came together very nice!


   The Birthday Banner was really easy and it cost me $5.50 to make! I got a pack of pastel colored scrapbook paper for $5.00 at the craft store. I just drew a pennant and I was able to get 3 pennants per piece of paper. I picked a font in word blew it up to the size I wanted , printed them and then used a clear Tupperware lid to trace the circles. I glued them on with a glue stick. I punched holes in the pennants and then strung the ribbon I got for $0.50 at the craft store through it. It would of been alot easier if I would have had a cricut, which I hinted about to the Hubby as I was cutting all the circles out!


These Pom Pom Wands I have been wanting to make since last year. I was originally going to buy them off of Etsy , but I then realized that I can probably make them, so I did! I have found a million tutorials on these things all over the Internet. Here is the tutorial I used for making the pom-pom , except I used tulle. I attached the pom-pom to plain wooden dowels that I painted white and then glued a white shimmery ribbon around. They came out perfect! The little girls loved them! 


                      

These are the hanging decorations I had hung around the room. Tissue paper pom-poms and then craft paper fans, I got the idea's from Martha Stewart. They got a little crushed in the car but nobody notices those things but me!! They added a nice whimsical feel to the party. They are  ridiculously easy to make, and you can get the paper at the craft store and the dollar store! For the rest of the decorations I used teal table cloths and lavender plates and cups. For centerpieces I got little fluted fish bowl at the craft store and filled them with blue sea glass and tiny sea shells. I cut out little fish and sea stars from sparkly scrapbook paper and glued them to a painted BBQ skewer. I didn't really get a good picture of them separately but you can see them on the table with the cake.











These are the cake pops and sugar cookies I made for the party. I had visions of homemade rock candy and  jars filled with purple, aqua and pink M&M's but it never happened.  And yes I am very much aware of the fact that my Tiara Sugar Cookies look like a certain hand gesture. Of course i didn't realize this until  the day of the party, the kids didn't pick up on it and the adults got a little giggle out of it. I will be retiring that cookie cutter, unless someone gets on my bad side! (Ha, Ha!)



My dear Best Friend Made this chocolate lollipop basket for us! She is getting in touch with her crafty side! She did a wonderful job! It came out adorable and of course matched with the theme completely!!



The cake we got made from Kiddie Cakes in Staten Island, it came out absolutely perfect and was filled with chocolate mousse and fresh bananas...yum....! Normally we like to make our cakes or cupcakes, but there was no way we were driving from Massachusetts to Brooklyn with a large cake in my lap!!

I was really happy we got to do her party in New York with all of our friends and family. That is the hard thing about being a Military family, you don't always get to spend all the special celebrations and holidays together. Right now we are lucky enough to live within a drivable (although not easy) distance from our family. So even though we don't get to spend every holiday together, we try to to come in as often as we can without interfering with work and school schedules! Thanks again to everyone who came last weekend and shared the day with our sweet baby girl! I still can't believe she is two!!  

Happy Birthday Little Princess!

1 comment:

  1. If you really wish to get the best provider for your kid’s pirate birthday party, then you have to make sure that you try to look at the reviews and comments which would help you get the best idea for you to choose the right one.
    Thanks
    mermaid birthday party

    ReplyDelete